1:24 Lotus 25 with ISO experimental brass chassis

I love the 1:24 Retro F1 cars  (Danish rules)
1. I  really like the pre-70's formula cars
2. These slot car replicas are great fun to build and race

A couple of yeras ago I build an experimental chassis, based on the ISO principle (like the 60's COX IFC cars) and it handled very well. I only drove it shortly as I got new ideas to try out and sold it to my good friend, Jan, who still uses it with the beautiful McLaren M7 body:

The guide and motor bracket sits on the same chassis rails, while the front wheels 
and side pan unit is hinged at the motor bracket

The beautiful Dillworth McLaren body based on my Heller McLaren plastic kit

Later i lightened the chassis - another crazy idea :-) - but it worked fine - and Jan has had a lot of fun and good results with the car.

But time went by and we went from rubber tires to foam tyres and now it seems like a good idea with more weight in the car to explore the better grip in the foam tyres on some tracks. I therefore wanted to build a new ISO chassis to test the new situation - BUT - i lacked some of the necessary parts to build it !!
I therefore looked in all drawers and found some usefull stuff :-)

The finished chassis - mid-section is made from two brass rails (pin tubes), 
a narrow drop arm and 1" motor mount. 
The side pans/front axle unit is made from a single brasss rail + a narrow brass strip, axle tube and pintubes that also keep it all together. This unit is hinged at the front of the motor bracket. 

The chassis seen from below

Here the hinge is visible with the movement of the front unit


Lotus 25 body

Fox 10 motor etc is mounted


The finished car

Exhaust trumpets are made from parts from old paint brushes and the cylinder
intakes are crome cable locks

Nice looking car

I have now tested the car and it is surprisingly quick on all tracks.
I have originally built it with short wheel base with the idea that it would be handling especially good on small and narrow tracks, but its also very fast and stable on the hight speed track in Kolding too - so I have to re-think my theories :-)

The car is now for sale as I have some new ideas to check out :-)

Niels,  30/7-2012